on Nov 12, 2010
Region: United Kingdom
Route type: Other
Total climb: 229.66 ft
Distance: 6.55km, 4.07 miles. Like (43)
An easy walk on estate roads and field paths through parkland and crop fields The site was an Augustinian priory from the 12th century until its dissolution by Henry VIII. The present building, named Calke Abbey in 1808, was never actually an abbey, but is a Baroque mansion built between 1701 and 1704. The house was owned by the Harpur family for nearly 300 years until it was passed to the Trust in 1985 in lieu of death duties. Today, the house is open to the public and many of its rooms are deliberately displayed in the state of decline in which the house was handed to the Trust.